Monday, May 10, 2010

The Importance of Using Metrics

It is extremely important to establish metrics in your magical practice. This is something I see a lot of people fail at. You have to have some way to measure and quantify the particular characteristics you are trying to achieve. Without it you have no idea if what you are doing is working or not. The more vague and abstract the practice, such as simple banishing or meditation, the more the establishment of certain benchmarks need to be set and tracked in a definitive manner. It is so easy to be "working" on something and waste a lot of time going in circles, perhaps even years, with very little progress. If you would only track it in a systematic way you would realize you had already succeeded or not made any real progress at all bringing you to the conclusion that you need to change your methods and approach. Without metrics you will never be able to clearly say you succeeded or in the very least made progress. By applying metrics you can compress the time till result in record time, guaranteed.

A very good example of this is my recent Fear project.

Once I have applied enough introspection to peel back my issues like an onion I was able to see the root causality.

Lack of direction ->Desire for self mastery->Discovery of Fears->Narrowing down to specific fears->Causal root of self acceptance.

Once the WHY was done I tackled the HOW. i.e. The methods and plan of attack.
The next step which is just as important, or in my opinion more important, was defining success.

I sat down and thought what would success look like? What would it feel like? How would I know if I succeeded? What characteristics would that exhibit and what would each stage towards that look like? How can I measure it definitively?

Doing so I outlined five basic stages I would need to progress through, each with their own specific benchmark, measurement, and sign of achievement, from the very easy all the way up to the ultimate success as I defined it. It has roughly been only about two weeks, yet I have already achieved every milestone I set for myself except for the final mark of success which should come shortly. This is what I mean by compressing the time till results. It allows an immediate measure of where you are, where you came from, and what you need to achieve next and what your focus should be to proceed with your agenda.

1. For every practice define success. What do you want? What is the end result you are after?
2. Come up with a system of measurement to gauge your progress towards mastery of that practice.
3. Determine the series of steps and stages from your current level to what you defined as mastery.
4. Track your progress or lack thereof, making adjustments as needed.
5. Succeed!

No comments: